This bright, zingy plate packs an incredible punch. Packed full of beautiful flavours, and it’s wonderfully healthy too. With fresh, zesty, juiciness from the lime, and a sharp kick from the chilli, this dish is one of my new favourites.
After a trip to the farmer’s market on Saturday, I got incredibly giddy and excited over all the fresh spring vegetables and bought some beautiful ingredients. One (slightly impulsive) purchase was a mega bag of curly kale, which honestly makes me quite nervous! I’ve never been much of a kale fan, but I’m on a mission to discover new tastes and ingredients. I WILL like kale (she tells herself repeatedly). Got to keep things fresh and exciting! Honestly, this dish is really exciting, and a great way to try kale if you’re not really a fan.
This dish is inspired by a beautiful side dish by Yotam Ottolenghi. The original version can be found here, along with some other fantastic dishes. I needed something a little more substantial for lunch, and didn’t fancy anything too heavy, so the addition of a smashed avocado and fried egg works really well. All the flavours marry beautifully together on the plate, especially the runny egg yolk with the Aleppo chilli flakes.Usually I would poach my eggs, but minimal washing up was my goal today!
Aleppo chilli flakes, also known as Turkish paprika, have a medium heat and add a wonderful fiery, yet earthy flavour to a dish.
See below for my slightly adapted version:
Broccoli, Kale and Avocado Plate (Serves 1)
- 1 small head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 3 large, leafy stalks of green kale, stalks removed and leaves shredded.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Aleppo chilli flakes (if you don’t have them, 1/2 tsp regular crushed chilli flakes, increase or reduce amount according to spice preference)
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 egg
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil (or boil a kettle) and blanch the broccoli for 90 seconds. Lift out broccoli with a slotted spoon. Leave to dry on a plate.
- Drop the kale into the boiling water, blanch for 30 seconds, then drain and refresh (with cold water). Give it a good shake in a colander again and set aside.
- Heat some olive oil (approx 1 tbsp) in a large frying pan on a high heat, then fry the garlic and cumin for about two minutes, stirring a few times, until the garlic turns light golden-brown.
- Add the kale and broccoli to the pan, season well with salt and pepper, add chilli flakes. Fry for 1-2 minute while keeping it constantly moving in the pan, then tip everything onto a plate. While frying, halve your avocado and place it on a plate. Crush lightly with a fork.
- Fry your egg in the same pan. Once cooked, place the egg on top of your broccoli and kale. Season your avocado, and squeeze the lime over the dish. Sprinkle a few more chilli flakes over if you wish.
Enjoy! Love Becca x