Salads definitely aren’t just for summer. There are so many exciting seasonal ingredients which are perfect for wholesome, nourishing salads for when the days are still cold and blustery, and you need something to give your immune system a boost.
I’ve felt a cold slowly creeping on this week, so I’m desperately trying to keep it at bay by eating and drinking as much goodness as I can! Beetroot is packed full of anti-oxidants and healthy vitamins and minerals. They’re little red powerhouses!
I know that there are quite a few people that aren’t big fans of beetroot, but I think it really depends on the way that you have it. When it’s roasted in the oven with lots of herbs and garlic, it’s truly a thing of beauty. I love the colours and the warm, earthy aromas that fill the kitchen whenever I roast it. Also, roasting it in a big batch is great, as you can blend the extra beets into a lovely dip.
I had some carrots knocking around in the fridge that looked little gnarled and sad, so I threw those into the oven with the beetroot to roast. The lentils make this a light meal, but if you need something a little more substantial, try adding some bulgur wheat. Also, if you prefer something softer and less tangy than feta, goats cheese is wonderfully creamy and marries beautifully with the beetroot.
Roast Beetroot, Lentil and Feta Salad (for 1)
- 250g raw beetroot, scrubbed and cut into small chunks. I roasted 500g to have leftovers for a dip.
- a few sprigs of thyme, 3 bay leaves
- Salt and Pepper
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, skins on and lightly crushed
- 35g uncooked puy lentils
- 40g feta cheese
- Olive oil
- Splash balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- Heat the oven to 200C.
- Line a baking try with tin foil, and roast your beetroot with the herbs and garlic, covered, for 50 mins. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Uncover, and pop back in the oven until the beetroot is lovely and tender.
- Meanwhile, cook your puy lentils. This should take around 15-20 mins. You want them to retain a little bite.
- Make your dressing. Mix olive oil, vinegar and honey together according to your taste preference. I tend to go for less honey, but do whatever works for you!
- When the beetroot is ready, serve with the lentils and crumble over the feta. Drizzle over your dressing, and give it a little mix.
Enjoy! Love Becca x