This bowl of fiery goodness is absolutely divine. The sun has started to shine on London (for now!), so it is the perfect time to whack out some lovely salads, and enjoy some really fresh, wonderful flavours. This bowl is inspired by Nigella Lawson’s rice bowl, whose influence knows no bounds in my kitchen!
This bowl is perfect for a lighter evening meal, or a lovely filling lunch. It’s packed full of fab ingredients that make you feel ever so virtuous. Brown rice is a great base option for the bowl, as it won’t spike your blood sugar levels, and sustains you for longer. A trick of mine is to pack bowls full of other veggies too, so you don’t need as much rice. Bowls are super versatile too, feel free to chop and change the ingredients to suit your tastes, or add whatever needs using up in your fridge! A grated carrot would work really well, as would lightly steamed broccoli.
The dressing is superb, the fire from the ginger mixes stunningly well with the apple cider vinegar, creating a sharp, but sweet tang in the bowl.
Ginger, Edamame and Avocado Rice Bowl (for 1)
- 40g brown basmati rice (uncooked)
- 1/2 thumb of ginger, peeled
- 4–6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tbsp tamari or light soy sauce (depending on GF)
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- handful of edamame beans (I use frozen. Broad beans also work)
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds and walnuts, toasted
- 3–4 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds (optional)
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- Cook your rice, drain, leave to cool.
- Mix your soy sauce and cider vinegar with the rice, and add your parsley and sliced ginger. Use a vegetable peeler to slice the ginger (thin as possible!)
- Season with pepper (no need for salt, as soy contains salt)
- Add the rest of your ingredients, except the avocado.
- Give it a good mix, then scatter your avocado on top.
I served mine on top of fresh baby spinach leaves, but this is entirely optional! I think rocket would work really well too.
Enjoy! Becca x