My cousin got married this weekend in the most beautiful low-key wedding in the country. The two day celebration was filled with so much love, laughter and happiness, along with a LOT of food and wine. We ate some absolutely spectacular dishes, which left me feeling so inspired and eager to get back into my kitchen on my return.
Unfortunately, the rather heavy weekend has left me feeling a bit bloated and sorry for myself! This does NOT mean that I’m about to deprive myself over the coming week, but in the same way that I feel in January post-Christmas, I always crave green vegetables and some punchy flavours on my return.
The fiery ginger in this dish is perfect for getting your tummy to feel better again. It’s so good for you, and coupled with the garlic and chilli, it’s encourages the return of the spring in your step! I haven’t had time to go food shopping yet, so this dish makes the most of store cupboard and freezer staples.
There are certain ingredients that I try to always make sure I have. Garlic, ginger, dried chilli flakes, soy sauce and some frozen edamame are all wonderful ingredients that can be thrown into the pan to create something super tasty and healthy. They are absolute staples in my kitchen, and I feel slightly lost if I don’t have them! The ginger is the only thing that needs refrigerating, but I often keep a little supply in my freezer ready to grate into stir-fries and other dishes.
I found some spinach and radishes lurking in the fridge, and thankfully there was half a lime and 2 eggs left from last week’s shop. Otherwise, all of the other ingredients are store-cupboard staples. It’s always worth keeping a little stash of spices and condiments ready for those days when you haven’t had time to shop, and I find that it keeps me from ordering a take-away or grabbing a ready-meal which I know will only make me feel awful afterwards!
Poached Eggs with Spicy Edamame and Spinach
- thumb of ginger, grated
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/4-1/2 tsp of chilli flakes, depending on spice preference
- 1/4 tsp dark soy sauce (tamari if Gluten Free)
- 1/2 cup edamame beans (I just used 1/2 standard mug), defrosted
- squeeze of lime
- 2 eggs
- handful fresh spinach (or frozen if you have it)
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- Gently fry your garic, ginger and chilli flakes in a pan. Be careful not to burn! I use 1/2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Add the soy sauce, then the edamame beans. Stir gently. Squeeze in your lemon or lime, then turn down the heat.
- Poach your eggs in boiling water for 2 minutes (I find this is perfect for a soft, runny yolk).
- Meanwhile, throw your spinach into the pan, and gently stir.
- After the 1 minute 45 seconds, season edamame with pepper and add your radishes. Stir through.
- Your eggs will now be ready – remove with a slotted spoon from the water and serve on a plate with your two poached eggs on top.
Enjoy! Love Becca x